Sunday, July 12, 2009

Joy in the Furnace - Part 2

Joy in the Furnace Part 2
By Debbie Guinn ©

James 1:2-4 -- Consider it ALL joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be PERFECT and COMPLETE, lacking in NOTHING .”


In Part 1, we looked at the principles I will have trials and God is always with me in the furnace (trials). We are going to continue our study in Daniel Chapter 3 and see what we can learn from the time that Shadrach , Meshach , and Abednego spent in the furnace. I hope you will see that God has a plan for each of the furnaces in our lives and He is at work in them.


The third principle is one that REALLY excites me!! I am set free in the furnace! Daniel 3:21 says, “So these men, wearing their robes, trousers, turbans and other clothes, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace. Verse 23 says, and these three men, firmly tied , fell into the blazing furnace.” However, in verse 25 it says, “I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound ….” The soldiers had bound the men before throwing them into the furnace and now they are FREE -- walking around unbound.


Not only is God IN the fire with us but He will also “unbound” us -- set us free of those things that keep us in bondage -- during those times of trial. As I study Scripture, I cannot think of any place in the Bible where God delivered somebody from something when they were just going along enjoying life. He always sets people free while they are going through the trials and hardships in their lives. He sets us free in the fire!! Now that is something that I can get excited about! Yes, it makes the trials worth it, knowing that He is setting me free during those times.


The fourth principle I found in this story is I will NOT suffer harm while in the furnace. Daniel 3:25 goes on to tell us that the king saw the men “walking around in the fire… unharmed …." Verse 27 adds, “They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.”


God does not lead us into the fire to bring harm to us or to destroy us. He wants to give us life, not bring us harm. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper and not to harm you….” . Satan is the one who is out to bring us harm. John 10:10 says, A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.” Satan is the thief – the one who tries to harm us – not Jesus . Jesus comes to give us life – real, full life – a life better than we ever dreamed or imagined.


We may feel incredible pain and it may seem like we are suffering greatly when we are in the fire. However, in God's eternal scheme of things, we will not be harmed. In fact, once we emerge from the fire, we won't even smell of fire. In other words, the work that God does in our lives as we go through trials is SO great and powerful, that once we come out of that trial, we will radiate with joy, peace, healing – to the point that we carry on us only the fragrance and aroma of Christ and His work in our life. We will “smell” of that abundant life. 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 speaks of this. “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.”


The fifth principle that I find in this story is that My trials “promote” me in my pursuit for God's perfection in my life. In Daniel 3:30 we find that the king promoted Shadrach , Meshach and Abednego . They had already been in a place of high rank before this, but here they were promoted to an even higher status. It is the same for us. Going back to James 1:2-4, we see that our trials are meant to make us “perfect, complete, lacking in nothing.” A couple of other verses that address this are: 1 Peter 5:10, “After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you” and 2 Corinthians 4:17, “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” Each trial we go through brings us one step closer to complete perfection in Christ that will be revealed when we go to spend eternity with Him.


Jesus , Himself, was made perfect through suffering. Hebrews 2:10 says, “In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering.” Hebrews 5:8-9 adds, “Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him.” What an honor to be made perfect in the same way that Jesus Christ , the Son of God was also brought to perfection!


The sixth, and final, principle is what I believe to be the ULTIMATE purpose behind ALL of our trials. It is that God will receive glory and honor through my trials!!! In Daniel 3:28, we find that the king had a total change of heart. "Then Nebuchadnezzar said, 'Praise be to the God of Shadrach , Meshach and Abednego , who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in Him and defied the king's command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.'” In verse 29, he issued a decree that “the people of any nation or language who say anything against the God of Shadrach , Meshach and Abednego be cut into pieces and their houses be turned into piles of rubble, for no other god can save in this way." In the end of this entire fiery ordeal, GOD WAS GLORIFIED!!! These three men had been such a strong witness, standing up for God even in the face of death. God rewarded their obedience and the king saw God's power and gave Him the glory and honor that He was due.


I believe that one of the reasons God allows us to go through trials is so that we too can give Him glory. 1 Peter 1:6-7 says, “In this you greatly rejoice , though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed .” I love that!! My suffering will ultimately result in praise, honor and glory when Christ is revealed!


You see that is how I can “consider it all joy”…that is how I can “greatly rejoice” when I go through trials. I begin by accepting that I WILL have trials. I KNOW that God is ALWAYS with me through every single one. I get excited knowing that I will be set free during these trials, that I will NOT be harmed by them, and that they are bringing me one step closer to perfection in Christ where I will not lack in ANYTHING. The thing that causes me to rejoice the most is knowing that my trials are bringing glory and honor to the one who suffered far more than I ever have or will in order to give me eternal life with Him. Knowing HE will receive glory and honor makes any trial worth whatever suffering it brings.


My challenge to you today is to do just what James 1:2 says…”Consider it ALL joy…when you encounter various trials.” Thank God for your trials and for the work that he has done and will continue to do in your life, in and through each and every one of them. I pray that each of you will learn to find true JOY in the furnace.


Keep pressing in to HIM!!


Debbie



BIO

Debbie Guinn was born in Phoenix, AZ, graduated from Southwest Baptist University and has lived in Texas since 1994. She is the single mother of three daughters and lives in Ft. Worth Texas . Debbie resigned from her job as an Administrative Assistant in 2001 when the effects of Multiple Sclerosis began to take her sight. She is a speaker, an editor, as well as an author who regularly contributes to Heartbeat the Magazine and is currently working on two books. Debbie 's transparency and firm grasp of God's truth challenges women of every age and stage to trust in the life-giving power of God's Word for every aspect of their lives.


No comments: